Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Play Doh practice


I have been puzzled by the plastic container of Play Doh at the corner of the room. It just stayed there, untouched, without changing position for the past few sessions until one night E announced before our led class that we would be practicing using ear plugs.

A little discomfited, I stood on my mat and watched curiously as my classmates went for the Play Doh container, nonchalantly began moulding small portions of clay and then carefully sealing their outer ears with the Play Doh. Oh, the many applications of Play Doh! It was plain to see that this was alien to me as E came over to explain that this was how they learned to tune in and focus on breathing while practicing yoga.

I was eager and willing and aspire to be a “connoisseur” of breath. As soon as my ears were covered it seemed like I had plunged into a pool: things sounded distant and muffled but my breath was crisp and clear. I was amused and fascinated at how audible my breathing was in my head and the calming effect it instantly had on me. Since we were also instructed to move as one, the whole exercise was also effective in teaching us to be patient and considerate of others.

Love, love, love how multi-faceted Mysore practices at the shala have been. The next meeting we practiced facing each other, some with their eyes closed. For me this was another exercise in cultivating patience, consideration, concentration and even humility.

Om.

No comments:

Post a Comment