Monday, May 10, 2010

Remembering Pattabhi

The Australian film director and yoga practitioner Robert Wilkins made the documentary Guru in 2005. He wrote this obituary for the UK's The Guardian shortly after the death of Sri K Pattabhi Jois last year.

Sri K Pattabhi Jois, who has died aged 93, was the founder of Ashtanga yoga, the physically demanding, dynamic style of yoga embraced by millions of westerners. If ever proof were needed of the health benefits of yoga, Jois was it. Up every morning to start classes at 5am, he rarely missed a day's teaching in 70 years, instructing hundreds of students daily at his shala (school) in Mysore, southern India, until the last year of his life.

What sets Jois's method apart from other forms of hatha (physical) yoga is a technique called vinyasa. Ashtanga students jump back and forward (the vinyasa) between postures (asanas), synchronising movements with their breathing in one long flow. Expertly done, it can look more like a dance or a martial art than a relaxation class. "Ashtanga yoga is 99% practice; 1% theory", Jois would say. "Practise, practise and all is coming" was his mantra.

Over the last 15 years, Ashtanga has grown into one of the most popular forms of yoga in the world, with a large celebrity following. Ashtanga has also spawned many new styles of yoga, including vinyasa flow, power yoga, shadow yoga, dynamic yoga and Jivamukti yoga. The UK boasts two teachers who are certified to teach Ashtanga at Jois's highest level.

For most Ashtanga students, the spiritual side creeps up slowly. In fact, Jois would teach meditation and the pranayama breathing technique only to advanced students, after they had completed years of dedicated practice. There are six series of poses in Ashtanga; it is said that, of all Jois's students, only his grandson Sharath Rangaswamy has completed all six.

Jois, known as "Guruji", was the son of a Brahmin priest and astrologer. He was born on a full moon in the small southern Indian town of Kowshika and became interested in yoga as a boy after attending a demonstration by Sri T Krishnamacharya, the man largely credited with resurrecting the millennia-old practice of yoga. At 14 he ran away from home with two rupees and a bicycle, and travelled to Mysore to study with his guru, throwing himself heart and soul into becoming a yogi. The maharaja of Mysore became a fan, and in 1937 invited Jois to set up the yoga department at the city's Sanskrit college. He eventually retired as professor of philosophy in 1973, though he continued to teach at his own school, the Ashtanga Yoga Institute, until 2008, retaining an encyclopedic memory for Sanskrit texts.

The first of Jois's western students arrived in Mysore in the 1960s. The popularity of Ashtanga began to spread, particularly in America, and over the next 40 years the school became inundated with foreigners. Jois would teach them from his modest home in Laxmipuram, eventually moving, in 2001, to the more affluent suburb of Gokulum. In 1975 he travelled with his son Manju to the US, invited to teach at schools set up in his name. He published a book about his discipline, Yoga Mala, in 1962; it was translated into English from his native Kannada in 1999.

Like many people I fell into Jois's style of yoga by chance. Returning jetlagged to London from a visit to Australia, I dropped into an early-morning Mysore-style yoga class near my house. I found it challenging both physically and mentally, and quickly became hooked. I went to India twice to study with Jois - on the first occasion meeting my American wife there - and, in 2005, made a documentary film, Guru, recording the interaction between Jois and his students and the celebrations for his 90th birthday.

What must it have been like for Jois, surrounded in the latter part of his life by so many foreigners, dressed up in Indian clothes, queueing up to bow down at his feet? He might have felt pity; instead he chose to see beyond any awkwardness or cultural difference. He opened his heart to thousands of students every year and tried to hold a space for anyone who dared to ask for his help. I look back on times when he held the door open a crack for me, and think what an amazing man he was to offer up so much in his lifetime.

Jois's wife Amma died in 1997. He is survived by Manju, daughter Saraswati (another son, Ramesh, predeceased him) and three grandchildren, including Sharath, who is now director of the Mysore school.

• Krishna Pattabhi Jois, yoga teacher, born 26 July 1915; died 18 May 2009



I'm also anticipating the publication of Guruji on July 25, 2010. The book is a portrait of Sri K Pattabhi Jois through the eyes of his students. Read some excerpts from yoga luminaries here including a tribute below from John Scott, who learned the parctice in 1989 when Guruji would teach only 10 students at a time.

John Scott was introduced to ashtanga by Derek Ireland and first visited Pattabhi Jois in Mysore in 1989. Scott is one of the world's leading authorities in ashtanga vinyasa, and the author of Astanga Yoga.

Before I met Shri K Pattabhi Jois I had many questions about life; what to do and were to go? My design profession gave me many skills, to think laterally, to see things from more than one perspective.

But as a designer, I was fixed in form and aesthetics, getting it right for the world ‘out there', I was awake but only partially awake.

Guruji greeted me with a big smile and an open heart. 'Come! Where are you from? Who is your teacher? How long are you staying?' were the first words Guruji said to me. He was immediately in the 'now', checking in with my past and my future (my Karma).

Derek Island, my first AVY teacher in 1987, had instructed me to tell Guruji that I was a complete beginner, which I was. 'Good', was Guruji's reply.

I reflect back now and see how on that day, way back in March 1989, I met a true Satguru, a guide who has shone the light for the last 20 years of my life. Guruji, through his simple but direct transmission, has awakened me to a Universe of infinite possibilities inside, right at the core of my being.

On a more personal level Guruji has been many things for me, The obvious, the guru mirror and teacher, but more importantly, my eastern father. Guruji not only welcomed me into his yoga shala, but also welcomed me into his family, his personal life - for example making me an Honoree Brahmin for the day to attend his granddaughter's wedding.

Guruji taught by example and always referred to himself as a student of yoga and a householder. He asked me was I married, and then told me that after the Advanced Series I would marry. True enough, in 1993 Lucy Crawford blossomed into my life.

Guruji has embraced our marriage and children and always included India and Fynn, inviting them to attend his great grand children's birthday parties.

Lucy and I have hosted Guruji and family twice in London, where we have come together, one Brahmin family with one western family living together in harmony, in one house together, eating together, talking together, all culture and labels dropping away - just people together in relationship.

Guruji has taught me that yes, we have a cultural identity but if you focus deeper than the physical, journeying into the subtle, we are just one, one light.

In a theory class, Guruji looked Directly at me, and asked ,'John Scott, who is God / Brahman? What is God / Brahman? Where is God / Brahman?', and then looking directly into me, answered for me, the guru mirror, 'This is God / Brahman touching the wall, touching the floor, pointing to the class. I am God / Brahman, you are God / Brahman, you are ALL BRAHMAN!'

I feel blessed to have met Guruji, Sri K Pattabhi Jois; such a teacher, who has, in a very quiet and humble way, accepted me as me, giving me simple and clear directions, answering every question I asked, and showing me that to have questions is to wake up and to live.

Aum Shanti, Shanti, Shantih

No comments:

Post a Comment